Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The luxury to question existence

I had planned that today's post would be entitled 'What Wikipedia tells us about what science tells us about the meaning of life' but this morning, as I was walking through the snow to my parents' house, I started to think about Maslow's hierarchy of needs (you would be amazed what pops into one's head when one is unemployed, childless and petless).

According to Maslow's theory, our behaviours and potential for self actualization are dictated by a hierarchically structured series of needs, from the most basic needs for human life such as food, water, breathing and sex, to more complex social needs including the support of family, friendships and feeling that one belongs to a group. Often this is represented as a triangle, with the most basic of needs at the widest point at the base and the highest needs associated with self actualization at the narrowest point of the top.

What I thought, as I plodded up and down the slippery roads, clutching my beloved laptop to my chest and holding my head low to keep the hailstones that were falling from falling into my eyes was: if someone asked me right now if I was interested to learn the meaning of life I'd say, sure, absolutely, but later, right now I just want to get warm.

It is an enormous luxury to be in a position to question one's existence and, although any existential crisis may be trying, the fact that I don't have to spend my every waking moment scouring the plains for passing weak zebra, or fighting for survival on the gritty streets of the grittiest cities on this planet is cause for celebration. That I have time, energy and the wherewithal to question what the hell this is all about and why I should get out of bed at all is evidence that the most fundamental of my human needs, the elements of life that must be in place before a life can become meaningful, must be satisfied. Surely this is a very good start.

However, lately my own personal triangle has been destabilized. On the first rung I'm doing OK, apart from a slight snivel I'm feeling healthy, I have food in my fridge, a roof over the fridge and a wonderful boyfriend who provides for other base necessities. As I climb higher on my triangle of needs things start to look ropey. The second level represents safety and this includes security of body (check) and the safety provided by having a loving family (also check) it also includes employment and job security (not so check). We're at a time when many people are finding the same blanks in their safety wall and according to Maslow, this may make our progression to higher levels more difficult, if not impossible.

That said, the next level up from safety is love and belonging and here I score well. I have a great family and close friends. So how did I achieve this without completing all the prerequisites of level two? Firstly, I did once have a job (although it feels like quite some time ago now) and I did also have a certain degree of job security. Previous to this my parents had jobs and I felt pretty secure of their job security, which, I suppose, is a psychologically similar situation. This would suggest that given that I once ticked all the boxes I was in a position to look for the next thing that was missing from my life (yep, we always want more).

Beyond this stage we seek esteem, both self-esteem and the esteem of others and if this can be achieved, self actualization, through creativity, problem solving, acceptance of our own nature and a sense of morality that favours the greater good over our own short-term gains.

So, can a person who is unemployed and who doesn't know where the next pay cheque will come from (or when) become self actualized? I would like to think that anyone, from any walk of life can become a fully formed person living up to the heights of their potential BUT it has got to be easier if you've ticked all the boxes along the way.

I can't help thinking that when your triangle becomes destabilized it's easier to become distracted from being creative, or thinking of others, or whatever it is that self actualized people do, because instead you've got to think about putting food on the table or finding a community in a new location or rebuilding your self esteem after a few hard knocks.

And so it's time to go back out into the cold and I can assure you that while I am out there battling the crueler elements I will not be thinking about the purpose of existence. I will be thinking: don't slip on the ice; I don't want to fall and break my arm; need to get warm; need to get warm; need to get warm, until I get home. And when I do get home I'll probably cook and eat dinner, chat to my boyfriend and maybe even watch some TV before I'll have any further interest in my pursuit of meaning.

Good luck on the ice and if you feel yourself falling, take my mother's advice and try to break your fall with your hands. After all, it's better to break an arm than an ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment