Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Redirecting my energies

It's time that I turned my energies to energy, that life effusing driver of existence. Our presence here, although fascinating from a philosophical and moral point of view, is based on fuel. We each operate like furnaces, calling for fuel, burning this up and using the raw energy created to pump our bodies and achieve work.

I used a calorie calculator to find out how many calories I should consume every day. Apparently, I require 1990 calories to fuel my body. I burn this up by walking, talking, thinking and even while I sleep. If I don't eat I feel hungry and eventually I will feel weak. In addition to food, I crave other kinds of energy, including external warmth and sunlight.

One of man's greatest discoveries was the ability to make fire on cue. Still today, many of us feel ourselves drawn towards flickering flames and few homes feel complete without the focus of a warm hearth (rather than a television).

I suspect that we search for meaning only after we have successfully found the energy sources that we require to survive. It is only when we have been well fed and warmed that we can turn inwards and focus on our own personal energies.

We give off energy as well as consuming it. If you touch a person's skin it usually feels warm. If you stand next to someone when they are angry you can feel their 'vibrations'. Likewise, being around someone who is very grounded and calm can be calming in itself. And when we have used up all our energies, we go cold and cannot communicate with others, we literally have nothing more to give.

What follows over the next week, or few weeks (depending on what other random thoughts pique my interest) will be a series of blogs that discuss energy in its many forms. You will have to excuse me if things get a little hippified - I recently returned to yoga classes (another to-do successfully underway) and I'm definitely feeling the chilled out energies of practising this exercise for mind, body and soul.

So onwards, into the realm of fuel for life: food, warmth and social sustenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment